1. Home
  2. EU Exit Information for Staff & Managers
  3. EU Exit Information for Staff & Managers

EU Exit Information for Staff & Managers

As we all know, the UK voted to leave the European Union in the 23 June 2016 EU referendum – what was coined as ‘Brexit’. And in December 2017, the UK Government reached agreement with the EU regarding the rights of EU nationals living in the UK (for after it has withdrawn from the EU).

The agreement reached was that EU citizens legally residing in the UK as at 29 March 2019 (the original proposed date of withdrawal) will be allowed to stay in the UK.

What does this mean for EU/EEA nationals?

We greatly value your contribution to North Lanarkshire Council and we are very keen that you continue to work with and for us. In order to support this, there are steps that we can assist you to take to ensure you are able to remain in the UK. Simply put:

  • if you’re a European Union (EU) citizen living in the UK, you and your family will need to apply for ‘settled status’ if you want to continue living here after June 2021;
  • if you’re an Irish citizen or have indefinite leave to remain you don’t need to apply for ‘settled status’, but your family members from outside the UK and Ireland will.

Can I apply to stay?

To understand whether you can apply, the question to ask yourself is “Have I lived in the UK continuously for five years?

  • If you have you will be able to apply for ‘settled status’.
  • If you haven’t you will be able to apply for ‘pre-settled status’.

Anyone arriving in the UK before December 2020 can apply and will get ‘pre-settled status’, which means they’ve got to stay for five continuous years to be eligible for ‘settled status’.

Rights for citizens of Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Switzerland are still being negotiated.

What ‘settled status’ means?

Getting settled status means you can continue to live and work in the UK for as long as you like. It will mean you’re eligible for:

  • public services, such as healthcare and schools
  • public funds and pensions
  • British citizenship, if you meet the requirements.

Please note that full details of the scheme are still subject to approval by Parliament.

Read more about this and the process for applying on the Gov.uk site.

Do you need to do anything now?

The ‘settled/pre-settled status scheme’ is fully open. The deadline for scheme applications will be 30 June 2021 so there will be plenty of time for you to apply.

What happens next?

We’re committed to supporting you and below is some further guidance that you might find helpful.

Applying to North Lanarkshire Council Following Brexit

Citizen’s Advice Scotland has some additional information and can provide support for applying for settled or pre-settled status.

Get your EU professional qualification recognised in the UK

You are free to pursue your profession in the UK as long as no law exists which requires specific national qualifications to access the profession (these professions are unregulated). Most professions in the UK are not regulated; however, the majority of the regulated professions are within the teaching, medical and legal sectors.

In the UK if the profession you wish to practise is regulated you may be required by the competent authority to obtain professional recognition of your qualifications to be able to practise your profession in the UK.

For up-to-date guidance on this, click on the UK Gov website link below


Where to go if you don't have IDs_ list of Consulates
Size: 111.58 kb
Date modified: 20-12-2019
How do I Apply for the EU Settlement Scheme
Size: 299.89 kb
Date modified: 29-04-2019
EU Settlement Scheme Posters - Summer 2018
Size: 3.00 mb
Date modified: 29-04-2019
EUSS Info Sheet_Scotland
Size: 543.55 kb
Date modified: 20-12-2019
Updated on 24th February 2021

Was this article helpful?