1. Home
  2. FAQs
  3. Teachers Scottish Government £400 payment

Teachers Scottish Government £400 payment

The payment is “pro rata”. What does that mean?

It means that full time staff will receive the full £400 and the calculation for employees who work part-time will be based on their average contracted hours worked over the qualifying period. Headteachers have the flexibility to consider any payment above the pro rata equivalent based on an individual’s contracted hours, up to a maximum of £400.

The payment is “non-consolidated”. What does that mean?

Non-consolidated means it is not pensionable and does not create a new baseline for future pay calculations.

Will I pay tax on the payment?

The payment will be liable to tax and national insurance contributions, where appropriate.

How will I receive the payment?

The payment will be distributed through normal Payroll Departments in staff salary payments. Those who have since left or retired but who were employed between 1 January 2021 and 3 September 2021 are eligible and would be expected to contact their former employer directly.

You will still be eligible if you were/are:

• shielding
• on sick leave
• on maternity or paternity leave
• adoption leave
• furloughed
as long as you had a role in supporting the delivery of the Alternative Certification Model.

I was part time during the qualifying period and worked additional hours, will this be reflected in my payment?

For eligible staff, the payment will be based on average hours and reflect the degree to which your work has supported the delivery of the Alternative Certification Model during the qualifying period. Your payment will be capped at £400.

Are those on sick or maternity leave, or staff who were shielding, eligible?

Yes, eligible staff who, between 1 January and 3 September 2021 were shielding or were on sickness or maternity leave, will receive the payment if they have had a role in supporting the delivery of the Alternative Certification Model.

Are other teaching staff eligible for the payment?

This payment is for all teachers, including Deputy and Head Teachers, who have supported the delivery of one or more of the following functions: assessing, marking or quality assuring National 5, Higher or Advanced Higher courses in academic session 2020/2021.

I worked full time and part time during the qualifying period, how will this affect my payment?

Payment will be based on the average hours worked in the qualifying timeframe.

Is there a qualifying period?

There is no minimum qualifying period for the payment. To be eligible, you need to have been:
• employed between 1 January 2021 and 25 June 2021 for the initial window.
• employed between the start of the new school year in August and 3 September 2021 (where applicable).

When will payments be received?

All eligible staff will receive the payment as quickly as possible, subject to returns being received timeously. The deadline for submission of claim forms is 30 September 2021.

Will I receive this payment if I have left or retired from my employer?

Everyone who meets the qualifying criteria is eligible for the payment. If you were employed at an education authority school, independent school or grant-aided school between 1 January 2021 and 3 September 2021 and supported delivery of the Alternative Certification Model, but have since left or retired you are eligible. If you have left or retired and want to request a payment you must contact your former employer.

What about the effect on other benefits I receive?

You should get advice as soon as possible before receiving the payment. If you want to find out more about how this payment may affect your benefits or tax credits, then contact:

Citizens Advice:
Bureaux | Citizens Advice Scotland (cas.org.uk)

Contact HMRC – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Contact Jobcentre Plus – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Is the expectation that each headteacher will complete a form for their school?

A single form should be completed:
• by local authorities for each of their schools;
• by managers of grant-aided schools and
• by proprietors of independent schools for the schools that they operate.

Local arrangements may be put in place to delegate the collation of data to the school management team, as relevant, however, head teachers must sign-off the claim for their school.

In submitting the summary claim form the local authority; Governing Body or external auditor (for independent schools); and Head or Director of Finance (for granted-aided schools) is declaring that any payment made will be used as intended; to pay current and former staff who meet the eligibility criteria detailed in the guidance.

Updated on 6th August 2021

Was this article helpful?

Related Articles