If you join our Council you will have access to excellent terms and conditions of employment and career opportunities. Our staff are vital to the services that we deliver to our communities and we believe in recognising and rewarding the value contributed by employees and their accomplishments by offering a wide range of benefits.
When you are successful in gaining employment with us you can expect the following employee benefits:
- A competitive and modern pay package, access to our pension schemes and access to salary sacrifice arrangements for childcare
- The council has been accredited as a Living Wage employer for its commitment to fair pay for both employed and contracted staff.
- Relocation packages may be available. Find out more here.
- Scotwest Credit Union – you also have the opportunity to join Scotwest Credit Union, which offers an easy and rewarding way to save money on a regular basis through deductions from your salary.
- A money advice service, with trained debt advisors and counsellors is located within the Infrastructure service. The service provides advice and assistance to anyone experiencing financial difficulties.
- Council employees are entitled to membership of one of our Local Government Pension Schemes. Strathclyde Pension Fund (non teaching employees) or the Scottish Public Pensions Agency (teaching employees). Both these schemes offer a career average salary pension and attractive pension benefits for employees
Career development opportunities
- Access to a wide range of jobs, training and development opportunities to support your career aspirations. Click here for more information.
Opportunities to achieve work life balance
We offer various smarter working opportunities to help you to achieve work life balance, depending on the type of job you are applying for and your circumstances. Some examples include:
- Flexitime – this is usually available for employees working in office based jobs which allows employees to vary their start and finish times and accrue hours. An employee is required to work during the core times and must work an agreed number of hours during the accounting period.
- Smarter working options – this involves making a request to change either the hours that you work or the place that you work to help balance any personal commitments that you have. Some examples include part time working, job share working, annualised hours or homeworking
- Leave entitlements – we offer generous leave entitlements which start from a minimum of 32 days per year (annual leave and public holiday entitlement) rising to a maximum of 42 days after 15 years service. This is based on full time working and will be pro-rata as appropriate for part-time workers
- We also offer a range of family friendly policies with generous entitlements going beyond legal requirements. These include maternity leave, maternity support, adoption and parental leave
Discounts and benefits
- Cycle to work scheme – we have set up a Cycle2work scheme in partnership with Halfords offering employees a 20% discount on bike purchases, cycle parts and accessories. This scheme allows you to pay through salary sacrifice, free of tax and national insurance. For further guidance, see below.
- We have negotiated a discounted membership rate with Access NL which provides access to a wide range of health and fitness facilities. As a member you can make unlimited use of gyms (including induction and exercise training programmes), swimming pools, health suites and fitness classes located in the ten AccessNL centres across North Lanarkshire
- Childcare voucher scheme – the scheme operated by Edenred closed to new applications in October 2018. Employees who are currently participating in this scheme can continue to use it. If you are not currently participating in a scheme, further information on getting childcare and help with childcare costs is available here.
- Click here for NL Life – full of lots of benefits and discounts.
- We want to support our employees to remain active and healthy and offer a range of wellbeing support including access to employee assistance programme, occupational health service, and occupational physiotherapy. Click here for more information.
See the Employee Benefits FAQ more information also.