1. Home
  2. Digital NL
  3. Skype for Business is closing

Skype for Business is closing

‘Out with the Old, In with the New’

M365 Migration Update…..

We have now migrated over 3600 users (75%) of the corporate users over to M365 and are on course to migrate the remaining 25% by the end of April 2021

What does this mean for you with regards to Skype for Business……

It is now time in the migration project to remove the old products and embrace the new methods of collaboration with MS Teams. In this case, this means switching off Skype.

In the next few days, we will be switching off Skype within Business Solutions as a pilot. We will then move on to other Services and business units.

Don’t Worry…….

You will still be able to contact people if you have not yet been migrated fully to M365 or been given MS Teams as part of a fastrack exercise.

If you have not been migrated to M365 and you need to contact a Teams only user, then:

  • Just drop your colleagues an email or
  • Call your colleagues

They will then be able to set up a Teams meeting and invite you in as a guest.

If you have been migrated, then:

If you are trying to contact a colleague who has not been migrated simply invite them to an MS Teams meeting instead.

There may be a few weeks of minor disruption while the remaining staff are migrated to M365, however, we are making steady progress in the migrations.

The end is nigh…….

Skype for Business will be fully closed at the end of April 2021


5 reasons why you should start using Microsoft Teams today

  • It’s more than just chat.
    • However, you can use the chat window in Teams to have quick conversations with your colleagues whether through instant chat messages or video calls
  • Before, during and after in Meetings.
    • You can have virtual meetings using video camera.
    • Use the Breakout Rooms and Whiteboard features.
    • Presentations and documents can be shared while in meetings.
    • No need for excessive printing of documents for meetings.
    • Meetings can be recorded for those not able to attend.
  • Fewer emails.
    • Reduces the need to email people
    • Reduces the need to email attachments large or small
  • Improved collaboration and communication.
    • Assists with collaboration with colleagues across the organisation and external to the organisation
    • Allows us to better collaborate and federate with external partner agencies and invite them into our Teams to work collaboratively on data and documents
    • Allows us to work more collaboratively on the data and information that we use daily where appropriate via Sharepoint Online
  • Stay connected, anytime, anywhere.
    • Enables a flexible and mobile workforce where we are no longer constrained by Office space

And for more general information, advice, and support for the entire Microsoft product suite:

Updated on 23rd March 2021

Was this article helpful?

Related Articles